Have you been gambling lately and not able to come over it enough after losing money? Then you are certainly going through the Compulsive Gambling issue. Also called as gambling disorder, is the issue where the individual has an uncontrolled approach towards the gambling despite it taking a toll over your life. You will end up spending largely over gambling without having the idea that you are losing money. Gambling is known for stimulating the brain’s reward similar to drugs and alcohol. This further leads to addiction and is known for compulsive gambling disorder.
According to Dr. Vipul Tyagi, compulsive gambling is quite a serious condition leading to loss of lives. Moreover, the treatment too is quite challenging. Dr. Tyagi, the leading psychiatrist in Indirapuram has come across many patients who are facing compulsive gambling disorder.
Symptoms of Compulsive Disorder-
There are certain signs that show the person is facing compulsive disorder-
- Very much occupied with constant planning for the new game for gambling money
- Planning to find money to invest in gambling
- Feeling restless if not played for long
- Regularly lying to family and friends
- Engaging in theft and criminal activities
- Trying hard to gain lost money back
Unlike others, compulsive gambling people keep playing regularly to recover their lost money. This certainly takes them deeper into the addiction.
Causes of Compulsive Gambling-
There different causes that lead to compulsive gambling, but the exact reason isn’t known. Similar to others causes to be biological, genetic or environmental factors.
Short-term and long-term effects of Gambling Addiction–
Compulsive gambling can have both long terms and short time effect on the individual’s life. Many gamblers turn into drugs and alcohol which further leads to long term issue. Even if the person is winning the game, then drugs and alcohol can lead to issues.
Medication for Compulsive Gambling Disorders–
Dr. Vipul Tyagi says the treatment for compulsive gambling disorder can be quite challenging. The psychiatrist or other doctors will examine the patients to provide to bring down the issue. Some of the treatment options are-
- Therapy- Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the therapies that can be very beneficial. This therapy will help to bring down the urge of gambling and indulge in other activities.
- Medications- The doctor will work on your addiction with antidepressants and mood stabilizers that can help in bringing the depression, OCD and ADHD. Medications like narcotic antagonists are considered as the best medications.
Along with this, treatment would also involve outpatient program, inpatient program and others. When you witness that you or any of your near one is facing compulsive gambling problem, then it is important you connect with the right doctor to overcome the issue.